Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ribbon Festival & the Importance of Recitals

I wrote a lengthy paragraph on my second blog (Firm Foundation Piano Page - geared more for my students and their families), so I don't want to repeat myself again here.  But I want to express my appreciation as a teacher for the opportunity to have recitals for my students to participate in, which are so important for the growth and devlopment as a pianist.  Being a member of the OMTA, I can be a part of things on a much larger scale than I would ever be able to do on my own.  Our local chapter offers on the state level the Baroque Festival, Ensemble Festival, Syllabus exams, and the Ribbon Festival, exclusive to Newport.  About a dozen teachers (or less) participate, and well over 100 students perform throughout the day.  It really gets students excited about playing, and gets them thinking about what they'll do for the next year!  At this point I don't have an official policy on recital participation.  So far, everyone has been willing to participate.  I also host my own studio recital in June, which allows my students and families to get to know one another in a smaller setting.  Recitals are such a great excuse to partner up for duets, polish pieces they're practicing, explore new things to "wow" the audience, work on concert etiquette, etc. etc.  I know I am excited to see the joy each student has sharing the songs they've worked so hard on, and it's so fun being not only a parent now, but having my own students participating... wow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment