Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Re-teaching a Student

I've had one particular student who has been learning very quickly and seems to be inclined to music perhaps above many of my other students.  While he used to go off and learn his assigned piece by the following week, he is now struggling with even simple pieces.  He is spending more of his time playing his own improvisations rather than practicing his lesson plan.  He is also losing learned technique, including hand position and timing.  I can see now where letting some of the "little" things go has compiled into a "big" thing now.  We have a big recital in less than two weeks, followed by syllabus exams 6 weeks after that.  Those 6 weeks will be spent redirecting, rehoning, and reiterating, to the parents as well, the need for practicing what's been given, and playing it how it's been taught.  The next couple of weeks for me will be spent researching refreshing ways to (re)teach and (re)motivate him!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I am in the middle of the exact same situation! I have a student who started with such enthusiasm and picked everything up so quickly. Now I'm struggling with even the basics- note reading, term definitions, etc. I don't feel like I ever really 'let-up' in terms of my expectations, but somewhere there was a disconnect.

    I've been doing a LOT of re-learning with her, and I can't wait to hear more about what you have planned for your student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Sarah! I'd love to share ideas with you and hear what you're doing with your student. I'm curious, how old is she? My student is ten, hopefully still a pliable age. At this point I'm planning on getting the metronome out so he can really hear where his rhythm gets off, and then assigning him very specific goals over small sections. I'm hoping to help him learn to enjoy playing these songs as much as he enjoys creating his own music (without discouraging him from exploring though).

      Delete