Thursday, March 15, 2012

Nervous?

I was reading this post by LaDona's Music Studio, http://ladonasmusicstudio.com/2012/03/14/double-the-nerves/
when some thoughts came to be about my own nerves.  My own children have played in recitals for many years now, and I have never felt extremely nervous about it.  I was concerned that they would embarass themselves, or become discouraged if something bad happened.  But they handled things quite maturely, so it was never a huge issue. 

But now that I'm a teacher, I find a whole new set of emotions emerging...!  Now I am finding that I am getting flustered as I prepare students for recitals, second guessing myself about which pieces we selected, wondering if I taught them everything I should have, wishing I had just a few more practices...  I think now the student's sucess or failure reflects more on ME.  When I was a parent, it was their teacher's "fault" if something went wrong... now I'm the one to blame!  Now, I know that the teacher really isn't at fault or needing to be blamed for anything.  There's responsibility on everyone's part, and sometimes now matter how well prepared, something can go wrong.  I know it's all part of the learning process and we grow from our mistakes.  I know that I have prepared each student the best that I can.  But the negative thoughts still find their way in. 

One thing that keeps me from listening to the destructive thinking is to remember that my attitude reflects on the student.  If I am confident, the student will be confident; if I am impatient and nervous, the student will be as well.  Also I plan far ahead as is reasonable to ensure the student feels comfortable with piece and knows it well.  I schedule as many practices as possible with duet partners.  And I remain as flexible as possible.  If something just isn't working, we can select a different song, or, in the recent case of a student trying to play two songs, we simply dropped the one he wasn't ready for.  Another example is showing a duet pair how to find a good place to restart their piece if they got so out of synch they couldn't go on.  They could start at a place near the end which they knew well and at least finish.  I want to my students to be confident, but also give them realistic expectations. 

With all that said, two more days until the biggest recital of the year.....!  All of my students have one more lesson to go, and I'm sure I'm more nervous than they are.  Maybe their confidence will rub off on me!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment