Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year, New Student!

It's a very exciting thing to get a call from a prospective student.  There are many piano teachers in the local area who have lost students, and few who have gained many back.  I'm not sure why: the economy, losing interest in learning an instrument, too many activities to juggle, interest in instruments besides piano (guitar seems to be on the rise around here).  This is my first new student since last April.  It was almost like starting over again, just preparing what to do for our first meeting!  I had to review some ideas, and dig up the forms I need to fill out and give to parents.   I was also a bit surprised how difficult it was for me to decide what method book to offer.  I have a few to choose from, and ultimately will decide based on how ready she is,what prior musical experience she has, and what seems to fit her personality best.  (I am also happy to finally write "she," lol.  All but one of my students are "he's" right now!)  And I have found a repertoire series I think I like.  Students are required to memorize orginally composed music from various eras for their annual exams (which is another topic altogether, but I highly encourage all my students to participate).  I have perused the Alfred Masterworks Classics Series, Level 1-2 and Level 3.  Each book has enough to last the student for a couple of years, and they cost under $10.  The music is interesting and varied.  So when they are ready, I will add that to the method book, perhaps eventually dropping the methd books altogether by level 3 or so.  I hope to generate interest in a very straightforward theory series by Kjos publishers (Keith Snell).  They can start the preparatory book at Level 2.  It isn't full of illustrations or games though, so it may not work for everyone.  Another frustrating aspect to choosing curriculum is the fact that we have no local music store to pick up a copy here and there.  I have to order online, or make a trip to a town an hour away, so I usually wait until I need enough books to make it worth it.  So when a new student does come along, I have to scramble to make sure I have something on hand for them.  I may consider stock piling my favorite preparatory books, once I decide on them!  (I do like Faber Accelerated for older beginners. I am also looking into Helen Marlais' series.)  So now I wait anxiously for our first meeting on Thursday!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment