Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Take Ownership

Week after week, month after month, students are given their theory assignments.  I believe in slowly introducing new concepts, moving on as they are understood and demonstrated, reviewing whenever we can as we apply things we know to the songs we work on.  One of my oldest students is struggling from week to week, month after month, to understand and retain what we have learned.  He has had three teachers before me, so I attribute some of that to the difficulty, as he hasn't really had the chance to solidify what he's learned long enough with any one teacher.  But he is 15 years old, and certainly knows the difference between what he does and does not know.  If I assign him a Bflat scale to practice, he knows if he can start the scale out correctly or not, and knows how to figure out some way to remember.  But he isn't doing this.  He doesn't go home and study out the concept, ready to learn the next one.  He can play the scale, but only if I prod him to the starting key.  He knows the I-IV-V chords, but only if I remind him to count the first, fourth, and fifth notes.  It is time to take ownership of what you are being taught.  Do you know it or not?  If not, it is time take the initiative and do what it takes to get these things down.  I told him today I simply cannot take him further if he doesn't learn what he's been taught.  We will be stuck in the same cycle for another year.... (this is his third year of studying for level III syllabus).   I am tempted to doubt my own ability to teach, but I feel like this time I really have given everything I can, and I've presented things as many different ways as I can without causing anymore confusion.  It's simply gotten to the point that if the student isn't taking ownership of his ability, my teaching becomes useless.  I was a bit hard on him today, I am particularly close to this student and his family, and I really do care about his progress.  He's a great student, he has a wonderful attitude and does enjoy the lessons.  He just has to start putting forth the effort that's required on his part! 

No comments:

Post a Comment