Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spontaneity

Some days I feel like I teach on "autopilot," going very methodically from one task to the next.  Other days, for what ever reason - whether the student just isn't responsive to the routine, or perhaps I'm more relaxed and paying closer attention to the student's direction - I take things as they come.  I enjoy lessons when something inspires me to get out the flashcards, a sight reading book, or do some improvising.  This week a student came for his second lesson, a very bright young man who enjoys playing the piano.  We spent several minutes being "chattering squirrels," I would play a pattern, he would copy it.   Then we switched, he played a pattern for me to copy, making each one harder and harder!  I don't expect every lesson to end up this way, but I hope to be on the look out for those opportunities with each student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment