Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Repertoire Gems

As I mentioned in my last post, I am looking for some exciting new solos to challenge my students with.  I hope to write down a few as they come along.  This week I had great success with "Dorian Tarantella" by Robert D. Vandall, found in the Myklas Contest Winners Book 2.  It contains lots of triads, broken and blocked, uses a full range of the keyboard, and is just a lot of fun to play!   My student was excited about it and wants to learn it for my studio recital at the end of the month.  Another student surprised me this week by bringing in a "fake book" she was working out of.  She managed to pick out the melody on her own and play all the chords in her left hand.  I haven't actually taught someone how to play this way yet.  I gave her some tips on playing chords in close position instead of always going to root position.  We'll see how it goes from here, but I was happy to see her applying what she knows to a new challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment