Monday, May 14, 2012

"I want him to succeed"

That was a quote from one of my student's parents this afternoon.  She was apologizing for not staying on top of her son's practice time sooner -  really paying attention to what he was playing and making sure he worked through each lesson.  "Seven year olds should not come to piano lessons by themselves" was the mom's conclusion.   Then I had to apologize, as I had not communicated better nor expected more from parents.  She is right.  In order to succeed, a student really needs the parent playing an active role, at least in the first few months of lessons.  I think most post parents are willing to do this, realizing how much they're investing, but maybe they don't know how to, especially if they're not musically educated.  I am rethinking my studio policy, and considering requiring, to some extent, parents to over see home practice.  It's what to do for the student to succeed.  I am thankful for the wisdom of a parent!  This also came at a particularly discouraging time.  Two of my students had very bad attitudes at last week's lesson, and one family did not show up at all, and have not returned my phone calls.  I was seriously wondering why I am even teaching.  This week, the same two students had marvelous lessons, and I learned something from a mom.  (The other family still hasn't called back, but I have learned from them too: I need to change my payment policy!  If I collect at the beginning of the month, at least I won't have unpaid scheduled time.  The school of hard knocks....! )

No comments:

Post a Comment