Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Season of Change

I wish I were merely speaking of the approaching autumn, my favorite season, with the changes of weather and color in the trees, warm cozy firelit nights, new routines to settle into, maybe a new student or two.  But this is a change that will set me on a new path which I can't return from. I was diagnosed with cancer in June, and will be starting chemotherapy in a few weeks after my surgery heals.  It still seems surreal, and I am uncertain where my future in teaching will go.  I made the difficult decision of turning one of my students over to another teacher, but I know it will be the best for him. He was approaching a late intermediate stage, which I am not comfortable teaching beyond, so it would be time for him to journey on soon anyway.  I know the new teacher will be a good fit and she will be able to bring out his full potential. I am actually excited for him, tho I hate letting go of the plans I had for his year ahead. Another family that has two boys whom I teach ironically is also struggling with a diagnosis of cancer for their mother.  She is going thru chemo currently, so they are on hiatus.  I am left with a mixed lot of students from beginners to older ones who struggle practicing and being faithful to lessons. I think they will be flexible with my schedule, and a missed week here or there will probably not set them back greatly. I will give them the option of finding another teacher, but somehow, I think these 8 students will stick with me.  As long as being bald doesn't scare them too much...  I am hopeful that I will make it thru everything, and will come out with a remnant that I can still build a studio on. If God has other plans, then I will walk down that road when I come to it.  My posts may be farther between, or of a different nature now. But I still hope to provide some sort of firm foundation for my students, musically or otherwise.  So for now, off on my journey I must go.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Tiffany- What a surprise this post was to me! Please know that I am praying for you and your whole family at this time. Have you been sending out updates via email to family and friends? Is there any way I can stay updated with your progress and current prayer requests as you walk this road?

    Praying for you from across the country,
    Sarah
    sers184@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your concern Sarah! I am on facebook and posting occasionally there (Tiffany Jefferson, Toledo Oregon), and I will try to post some updates here too. One of my biggest prayer requests right now is that I deal gracefully with my husband and daughter, and don't drive them crazy through all my ups and downs! I do feel so blessed by all the people who have reached out to me. Your prayers are highly valued. My greatest comfort is in God's Word and His people. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for more updates here, Tiffany, and in the meantime will be in prayer for you AND your family! If you see me on Facebook (Sarah Lantz) feel free to friend me- I couldn't find you!

      Love and prayers to you and your family- and special prayers to you for strength through the coming weeks and months.

      "You will keep in perfect peace
      those whose minds are steadfast,
      because they trust in you.
      Trust in the Lord forever,
      for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal."
      Isaiah 26:3-4

      Delete
  3. Tiffany,

    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but we know God IS in control. I will pray for you.
    Hope piano lessons are going well.

    Sincerely,

    Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tiffany,

    This Thanksgiving and Christmas season you have been on my mind a good bit. I pray that you are finding God's grace and faithful provision even during this time. Please know you and your family continue to be in my prayers.

    Love in Him,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete