Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Teaching Composition (Book Review)

I am excited to implement ideas on composition that I found in Carol Klose's book "Piano Teacher's Guide to Creative Composition."  Her book is designed for elementary students, but includes a wealth of ideas for the advancing composer.  I think I will be able to use it for years to come.  She also lays out a simple outline for helping a student begin and complete their work.  She suggests five weeks worth of lessons that should only take 5-10 minutes to introduce and assign which lead the student through finding inspiration, mapping out their piece, choosing the form, adding details, and refining the composition.  I have one young student in particular who loves to "doodle" at the keyboard, so I am hoping this will give him some way to channel his energy and focus him on achieving a final product.  We have a Ribbon Festival recital in March which features a composition category, of which winners will be selected for the state Oregon Music Teachers Assoc. recital and even published in a book of winners.  So this also provides motivation to compose a complete work.  I am also looking forward to everything I will learn through the whole process!

No comments:

Post a Comment