Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Challenging Students

I have one student who is a challenge to me, not because he is difficult to teach, but because he learns things too quickly!  He comes with his pieces learned quite well every week.  He even learned a challenging version of "12 Days of Christmas" in less than two weeks.  I hear him often picking out "Fur Elise" by ear, so I have decided to offer him this version by Yoke Wong, http://www.pianomother.com/Fur_Elise.html.

Striking a balance between mastering each concept that is taught and moving quickly enough to match the student's ability has been challenging to me.  My tendency is to want to push too much, which can frustrate the student and cause confusion.  So I will try to keep the lessons at a steady pace, while offering some challenges along the way.  We may skip over lessons that seem redundant, or just sight read them for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment