Tuesday, July 10, 2012

OMTA Conference Recap

This was my first year attending the Oregon Music Teachers Assoc. conference, which was held in Washington state this year.  What was most interesting to me even more than the various presentations was spending time with fellow teachers and watching how the group was governed and how members interacted with one another.  I am very thankful for the local group of teachers I am with.  We are a small group, made up of varying personalities, experience, and ability, but we work closely together and support one another however we can.  We are able to offer many opportunities to our students as we collaborate together.  I look forward to growing with the group, and offering what I can to it as I gain experience teaching.  As far as presentations I got to see, my favorite was Forrest Kinney's Pattern Play and Chord Play books.  He was a very engaging speaker and made his books come to life.  I tried Pattern Play with a few of my students already, especially the ones who are more tense at the piano.  I have one student who has a particularly hard time with sensing pulse.  I hope doing some of these improvisational exercises may help him become more steady over time.  The Chord Play is also a great series for the Intermediate or above player to help teach how to play with lead sheets/fake books, arrange hymn accompaniments, play with singers, etc.  I am starting one student on it slowly by having her play a hymn by ear, chord it, then incorporate some of the accompaniment techniques the book presents.  Overall I think I returned with a sense of being recharged, ready to make some changes and challenge my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment